Friday, September 28, 2007

Any transition serious enough to alter your definition of self will require not just small adjustments in your way of living and thinking, but a full-on metamorphosis." Martha Beck

This a nesting colony of birds off the Oregon Coast. I believe it is near Yaquina. When you go the this area you hear them before you see them all sqawking at once like a bunch of rowdy kids in classroom each trying to get the teachers attention.

I feel like of late that my mind is a lot like this rock with so many thoughts struggling for attention some good and some not so good. I try to live a positive life but sometimes those doubts creep in like these birds each yelling for attention of its own. I think so much so that sometimesit is hard to sort out the message in the chaos.Do you ever feel like this?

As a child growing up the farmers would often burn off a field or underbrush under a forest canopy because if left unattended these nonnative weeds would overtake the fields and forest and swallow them hole resulting in their death. I feel like of late I need to burn off the areas of my soul that have been allowing the weeds of doubt,depression,regret and the like to overtake the good parts and allow the remains of the burnt areas to fertilize a rebirth ,renewal or regeneration of the parts of me that has been buried under the underbrush for far too long, a belief in myself that I have worth and value and a rebirth hopefully of a creative side of myself that has been languishing of late from neglect.

I hope that with the winter rains of the Northwest that bring the life giving nourishment back to the earth that I find the purpose for my life again.

Check out my new post on the Book Club Blog in the side bar The Mermaids Bookshelf.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

I liked the quote especially since you know I am trying to go through my own metamorphosis with my eating habits. It is so hard to change when those old bad habits seem to be set in stone.

I constantly have self doubt-I think because my mom gave me her worrying gene-and I just want to be perfect in everyonses eyes- It is something I am working on- One of my bosses once said a line to me once that I repeat when I get down on myself for making a mistake
"If you were perfect you wouldn't be here"
Have a great weekend and Good luck with your own metamorphosis whatever that may be.

Shelby said...

loved this :)

p.s. I have a real life video posted today.. come see!

Monique Kleinhans said...

Great post! and yes...I have and do feel like this many times, even throughout any given day. The image of my thoughts like birds is wonderful...and makes me want to sit and write a poem...perhaps I will! ;)

Thanks for sharing and the inspiring!

Angela said...

Yes, I feel like this sometimes. It's important to me for these feelings and thoughts to have a regular outlet. Even though I don't want to give them additional power, it helps to either write them out in morning pages or talk to a friend who will listen, understand, and help me move forward. But sometimes they need voice.

Angela

Christy Woolum said...

I love your photo image today. I want to be able to capture those kind of pictures. Sometimes I don't think I am patient enough.