Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Magic of an Ordinary Day






It is not often that Sweet Cheeks a.k.a my husband and I get to spend the day together as he works 6 days a week often ten to twelve hours a day and I work 3-4 12 hour shifts a week which when combined with the commute turns in to 14 hours a day away from home. I am not complaining it is what it is so it is rare event when we get a day off to just be and Monday was just such a day.

We went over to the Coast but I didn't take any photos because when I got out of the car I thought we were only going to the bathroom but ended up walking a 1.4 mile trail on Whalen Island. It was magical because there was only a few other people there and we found a cove and just sat on the beach enjoying being together watching the gulls and the ocean while lying in the sand. It amazes me that sometime the things I cherish the most aren't things but moments with those I love and this was one of them . We drove on up to Rockaway Beach and the Manhattan Beach Wayside which I hadn't been to before and walked a path up to a bench where we just sat and watched the majestic ocean which we so love. The day was magical and one I treasure.

I hope this weekend when I am off to take pics to share here. It seems hope still resides within me and feels ready to take flight again. Such is the MAGIC OF AN ORDINARY DAY.

I want to thank all of you for all your encouragement . I also ask that you keep my friend Jan down in TX in your prayers as they deal with Hurricane Dolly.I also want to thank Brezomayo for letting me use the beautiful photo from Flickr. I encourage you to visit her Etsy Shop Brezomayo Designs.

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. — Allan K. Chalmers

Also Check out The Mermaids Bookshelf for a review of Chasing Firelies by Charles Martin

21 comments:

Jan said...

Yolanda, thank you for the prayers. Hurricane Dolly was pretty mild, even where she hit near Brownsville, south of here. Lots of rain though.

Your picture made me smile. Thank you. I love the last quote. So glad you and your husband had the day together.

JBelle said...

"...and the greatest of these three is love." heh

Love your pictures and your notes of hope. And I could just smell that salt air and that warm sun. yuuuum!

Brenda said...

I would love to have a whole day like that. The nearest thing we have to an ocean is the Mississippi River :-)

I live near Helena, not far from the Arkansas-Mississippi line.

Carver said...

Beautiful photograph to go with a beautiful post. I'm glad you had one of those magical days. I treasure those too.

The Urban Chic said...

Yolanda, I am so glad you had what can only be described as a beautiful romantic adventure. The beaches there are so beautiful and I am so ready to rebook my flight to visit my daughter in Vancouver and hopefully get to Cannon Beach again---I love the little shops, but the ocean is breathtaking---we have the ugly Gulf of Mexico, nasty and dirty. We have all been praying for everyone in Texas. It's that time of year for us. The coast is only about an hour and half drive from here and I'm not ready for another Lili and Rita. Hope you get another day with your sweetie. Hugs, Pat

Becca said...

Your "ordinary day" sounds quite extraordinary!

Loved the picture, and I'm glad you had such a special day with your husband. Mine's away right now, so I'm missing him a bit :(

Sharon Lynne said...

I'm glad you had a day with some space to breathe and enjoy what is beautiful.

There are so many non-beautiful things too...like the hard times we go through---that we will never understand completely while on earth.

I'm so glad you had a nice day. Hopefully you can have another one soon! It's so true--what you said--that the best things are not the things we buy.

Strider said...

Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a comment. I appreciate it very much. I like your post today....God does surprise us with ordinary days doesn't he. Be blessed.

meggie said...

The words of Allan K Chalmers strike a note for me. I just wish Gom could find something 'to do'. I love my life!
Take those moments together & enjoy ever second of the time!

Esther said...

This sounds like a lovely day! Your post has a very nice title and the bright flowers resting on the sill are very inviting!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Your beach excursion sounds heavenly! I'm so glad you could enjoy the moment with your dh.

Ted Marshall said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely day with us. So beautifully described, it had me smiling with you at the beauty of it all.

Jacinta said...

It sounds like it was a beautiful day and I agree, it is often the small things that make one happy.
Glad to hear you are feeling happier too... these 'ordinary days' can be good just to rest and recover. Beautiful photo too by the way.
Cheers!

Shelby said...

A day to outdo all other days!!!! Woohooooooooooo for you!! I know you enjoyed it. I enjoyed it vacariously thru you :)

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I enjoyed reading through your site. I love books and read a lot.
So and loved your reviews on your other site.
xoxo Nita

NicciN said...

What a beautiful picture.

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful...

иαиε : said...

first of all , i love your blog .
you have treasures written here .

this post in particular grabbed my attention ; i couldnt agree more with you .

i live about 2 hrs away from my boyfriend & we can only see eachother once a month or even longer and every moment we spend together truly feels like magic .

this post reminded me alot of that
& it has brought the peace of memories to me !

THANK YOU [:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your PERFECT DAY. It shows us how important that kind of day really is.

Also, thanks for your visit to my blog.

Egghead said...

Wonderful! I can see, hear and feel it through your eyes.

High Desert Diva said...

Whalen Island is one of our favorite spots. Not many people know of it...one can still walk along the sand without encountering the masses.

http://etsyhighdesertdiva.blogspot.com/2008/08/camp-here.html