Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Book and A TV Show



I read a lot of books some very good and then some that are just okay. This one was wonderful. It left me with the feeling that I got when I read The Secret Life of Bees and The Help.I confess that I am a sucker for a Southern Novel because even though I love with all my heart the Northwest I yearn for home sometime.In the beginning of the book Ceecee lives with a mentally ill mom who she has to be a Mom toand as the book goes on her mom's death prompts a move to live with her Aunt Tootie in Savannah and the friends her Aunt Tootie has that become her family.
The book and it's characters are yet another affirmation of the fact that your family doesn't have to be of theblood butthey can be those you choose.Beth Hoffman so captures the Low Country of Georgia and South Carolina that I felt like I was back there again in summer walking along the beaches of Tybee Island, watching a summer thunderstorm and walking through Forsythe Park. I can almost smell the night blooming jasmine and the Magnolias and Azaleas in bloom or feel myself sitting on the front porch drinking sweet tea.I think you will love Ceecee as much as I did and the other characters that Beth Hoffman creates . I almost wish I could go live with Aunt Tootie myself.
I also love this new series on The CW called Life Unexpected . It is set here in Portland and it manages to capture the funky, outdoorsy, laid back vibe of the area I love so well it is billed as a cross between Juno and The Gilmore Girls and I think I agree. I hope you will watch it.


18 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Your post makes me think of the song "Rainy Night in Georgia" which evokes such bittersweet memories for me of a visit to Georgia one hot, steamy summer over three decades ago. I loved The Secret Life of Bees, and I even loved the movie just as much. Southern novels draw me too, not because I am homesick, as I am not from the South, but because of some indefinable thing I can't put words too...something about the mood, some sort of pathos mixed with joy of living....I've never been able to really identify it, except that I know it is Southern!

Shelby said...

loved reading your thoughts on the book and the show.. I've been interested in this book for a few days..

Cloudia said...

The names of the characters in Life are strange, No?


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Cindy said...

This book looks really good! Thanks for sharing! Hope you're having a good week!! :)

Karen said...

They both sound wonderful--I'll have to check them out!

Janna Leadbetter said...

First, that picture of the outdoor staircase is gorgeous!

And People magazine just did a review of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. Since you've recommended it here, as well, I'll add it to my TBR pile. Thanks!

Connie said...

as much as I think I would like to live somewhere else there is nothing quite like the South for idiosyncrazies (LOL, i know I spelled that wrong) I received a Kindle as an early b-day gift and am planning to download both books...will have to stay tuned for the program...maybe we will see you as an extra in the cast someday :)

Sue said...

Well, the book is going on my wish list. I love Secret Life of Bees...and Tybee Island. Sounds great to me!

Sue

Char said...

i love southern lit and being a southerner, i can emerse myself into the quirks that all families have.

iconic shot of savannah

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Yo. I'm with you on the southern novel radar. If a book is remotely interesting and set in the south, I tend to buy it. I'd love to travel through the south but never live there. The humidity would kill me. BUT, reading such books gets me in the setting, the mood, and I can keep my fantasy.

I love the Sookey Stackhouse novel from Charlaine Harris and of course, the great Eudora Welty, Harper Lee, and Pat Conroy.

Unknown said...

I blogged about that book last week and soooo loved it!

Deb Shucka said...

Oh, I have that book on one of my piles. I'm headed to dig it out and to move it to the top.

SandyCarlson said...

Your post makes me want to dive into that book.

Connie said...

just a note to thank you so much for the birthday card. made my day :)

Beth Hoffman said...

Oh, my! Thank you for such a lovely review of my novel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed it.

Sharon Lynne said...

--sounds like too good reads!
I loved the description of the South. I wish I could visit the South!

BONNIE K said...

I've been trying to pick the next book for our book club, and this sounded good, so I just picked this. I'm sure we'll all enjoy it.

Cindy said...

Just have to update my comment and tell you (& your readers cause you already know!) how much I enjoyed this book! It was just a wonderful, wonderful story and you're right reminded me so much of The Secret Life of Bees! In fact, I find myself wanting to re-read The Secret Life after reading this book! Thanks so much for the suggestion...I think we are definitely bookmates!