Monday, May 01, 2006

Flying Lesson #1: -Monday Musing
Getting older what does it mean to you?
I was just at Wal-Mart getting some Revlon Age-Defying makeup and contributing to the Walton fortune and am still thinking about buying the Oil of Olay Regenerist line because at 41 and 3/4(lol) I am beginning to get a few lines around my eyes and my skin is getting dryer .While looking at the vast array of products they had for aging it made me wonder why our culture is so afraid of age and maybe their own mortality and why is the outside in our culture more important than you soul.
I have never been one of those women who was vain and I am not afraid to get old but I know woman that will never admitt their real age. Why is that? The way I look at age is I am who I am because of the life I have lived .Would I go back if I could ? Proably Not because I might not have the same family,husband,animals; the things I love about my life now. Sure I wish I wish 30 again but I't not and I can't change that .
Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if I had been gorgeous like Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman but alas I look more like Rosie or Kathy Bates. I am just average , average looks, average income and average life.I am not ashamed of that. I don't have to fear sagging boobs or stretch marks because I have lived with that for a while now. At some point in every womans life those boobs just aren't that perky anymore and sex is better done with the lights off.(lol) One thing I can say is I don't have the frozen smile or puffed lips like Joan R or Joan C. I least I can still smile. I am not putting botulism toxin in my face. I am sorry but that still just doesn't seem healthy to me to put a germ in my face to freeze that tissue.
I admire people like Lauren Hutton and Jamie Lee Curtis who will say here I am at my real age and I am okay with it .
Wouldn't we all be better off and all these companies and plastic surgeon's a lot poorer if we all had the same attitude toward aging that Kathrine Hepburn had.
I am glad that I remember Sigmund and the Sea Monster,the Original runs of The Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch,and what Cher looked like before plastic surgery. I am glad that I grew up listening to The Eagles and all the things and experiences I have seen in my years here.
Sure, I will still use those products but with the knowledge it is just window dressing and I am okay at the age I am. I am Beautiful just being me . I am like the title of this post Perfectly Imperfect and that is okay with me.Now I just need to keep telling myself this.lol.
As for the Flying Lessons I am trying to tell myself that at any age I can learn how to fly to my full potential and no matter the length of years ahead it is my attitude and how I use those years that count.


"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall".
"Come to the edge."
and they came
and he pushed them and
They Flew.
Gullaune Appolinane
Sometimes maybe all just need a push.

No comments: